melissa and lev invited me to an opening at creativity explored last week, where melissa was volunteering for their chinese new year/year of the tiger show. creativity explored is an art studio where people with developmental disabilities can come to make art, exhibit it, and sell it! i couldn't agree more with their beliefs, posted on their website. hopefully i can get a spot volunteering in the studio!
* All people are creative, given a supportive environment.
* Creative expression fosters personal growth.
* Self-worth, a sense of purpose, and community are essential for all people.
* Visual art is language everyone can use.
* Disability is not a boundary.
* Art making is a viable career path.
the artists' work is all so striking! an unabashed use of color, subject matter, and pure, honest expressions of themselves. too bad i missed the lion dance!